How to Be Prepared like a Frequent Flyer at the Airport
Successful Airport Navigation
Airports can sometimes be a challenging experience, unless you know some successful tips. There could be flight delays, weather issues, crowds, lost luggage and numerous other things that could make waves in your travel experience. These airport tips will help you to have a smooth travel experience and know how to keep your cool in these situations.
Arriving at the Airport
When arriving at the airport you should plan to get there at least an hour or 2 hours prior to your flight time. If you are traveling during the holidays the earlier the better. Always check your flight number prior to leaving, so that you know if there have been any delays or if it will be arriving earlier. Consider using a chauffeured transportation service to travel to and from the airport to avoid leaving your car there. If you are driving, plan to park in the overnight lots and ride the shuttle over to the airport or you could have a friend drop you off. Plan all of the time needed to park, unload and ride the shuttle into your schedule. You will still need some time to go through airport security as well
What to Bring
Mark all of your items with a luggage tag, so that they are easily identifiable. Review carry-on guidelines prior to going so that you know what is and is not allowed. You should pack certain valuables, medication, money, chargers and any travel confirmations in your carry-on bag. Along with magazines, your iPad and other entertainment items, think about bringing an empty water bottle. You can fill it up for free at one of the restaurants in the airport like McDonald’s. Then get ready to check your bags at the appropriate area and head off to security.
Breeze Through Security
Be prepared is the best advice available regarding airport security. Have an ID and your flight information available before you walk up to the line. Make sure you have acceptable items in your carry-on baggage. Wear shoes that can easily be taken off and put back on. Take note of all of your “metal” items and be ready. For example, you will have to put your keys, watch, belt, etc. in a bin before you can cross the “threshold.” If you have a laptop, iPad, or DVD player that you are bringing with you, take it out of the bag and place it into its own bin. By the end of this process you could have potentially accumulated about 3 bins. So as soon as you grab your bin, get going, because the faster you are ready the quicker you will be able to go through the line. You don’t want to be that guy that’s at the “threshold” fumbling around.
General Airport Tips
- Tuesdays and Wednesdays typically have shorter lines and sometimes cheaper fares.
- Don’t leave any children or baggage unattended.
- Have a snack or meal before getting on the plane, especially if it is a longer flight. Pick up a few snacks in the airport as well to bring along. If you do bring a meal on the plane try to make sure that it is not super smelly or messy.
- Go to the restroom before your flight. This is your last chance for a normal sized restroom until you land, enough said.
- If you need to hustle to get to your gate, do not run people over! It’s not their fault you are running late.
- If you need to hurry to make it to a connecting flight ask an airline representative at the desk once you land what the fastest route may be.