Smart Tips for Planning Your Honeymoon
Planning for your wedding can be an exciting experience, but sometimes planning for the honeymoon can trump that. Your honeymoon is a chance for just the two of you to get away and relax! It will probably not hit you until after the wedding and first day of your honeymoon that you are even married. This is your time to de-stress and have fun together. This article will provide you with some fun places to go and general packing tips.
Top Honeymoon Destinations
- Cartagena, Columbia
- Vienna, Austria
- The Turkish Riviera
- Puerto Morelos, Mexico
- Sydney, Australia
- Barcelona, Spain
- The Big Island of Hawaii
- Miami, Florida
7 Packing Must-Haves
- Passport: Your passport can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks to be processed, so get moving early on this. You can apply online and have your picture taken at a local drugstore like Rite Aid or Walgreens. Apply for the passport under your current (maiden) last name, because you won’t have the documentation necessary for your married name until after your wedding.
- Wallet, with credit/debit card and traveler’s checks: Bring only the essentials with you if you are traveling. Try to limit to only one credit card and bring your driver’s license, passport and insurance card.
- Confirmation paperwork: All hotel, rental car, activity, flight information and confirmations you should bring with you. It also won’t hurt to copy some of these forms as well and leave the extra in your hotel in your suitcase. Print all confirmations for something that was prepaid, had a deposit put down or registered and take the paperwork with you to said activity.
- Medications: Bring with you all necessary medications that you and your groom take. Pack some other travel size meds as well, like Advil, Tums, etc.
- Weather protective gear: Take note of the weather where you are traveling and the activities that you will be doing. This will give you an idea of if you need to bring along anything extra, such as a rain jacket, winter jacket, gloves, sunscreen, insect repellant and more.
- Destination appropriate clothing: As noted as above you should bring clothing for that weather location. Research the weather a little before you trip so you can bring what you need. Also, shoes can really take up a lot of space in your suitcase. Wear your bulkiest shoes on the airplane, probably your tennis shoes. Try to limit the number of shoes you need, based on what you are doing. Bring a casual pair of shoes, active shoes and a dressy pair of shoes.
- General hygienic products: Downsize all of your usual products to travel size to save space. Pack up those cosmetics as well, but only bring what you need on a daily basis. This will help to cut down on clutter so you have more room in your baggage for goodies.
General Honeymoon Tips
- Remember to bring all identification, money and medications on the plane with you, just in case your baggage gets misplaced.
- Bring along an electrical adapter if traveling outside of the United States, so you can still use your razor, hair dryer, etc.
- Are you traveling aboard? Download a language app on your phone or bring a language dictionary or phrase book with you. Try to learn a couple common phrases before you go. Some good phrases to learn could be; “Do you speak English?” “Hello and goodbye.” “Please and thank you.” Also practice how to order something; such as “Can I please have the…”
- When traveling and walking around, carry your wallet in your front pocket and a cross body purse. This way your items are securely on your person and not look like you’re stuck in the 90’s with a fanny pack. Although, you do still see the rare and endangered fanny pack out and about, along with its cousin the necklace pouch.